... I had such great plans to make a chocolate and hazelnut cake for the 'we should cocoa' challenge this month... and use pureed chestnuts in it too (just to prove BVG wrong) ... but then Tracey bought me an Ice Cream Maker and things kind of changed...
... this is a very very very late entry due to my commitments in London this week, in fact I have missed the deadline completely... but here it is nonetheless...
Ludicrously Chunky Toasted Hazelnut and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
1 small packet of hazelnuts
1 large bar of fabulous dark chocolate (I used Green and Blacks 72%)
225ml semi skimmed milk
An ice cream maker is not essential but it does make the whole thing a lot easier so just get your neighbour to buy you one for goodness sake!
- crush the nuts with a rolling pin and then toast them in a dry frying pan till they're toasty (technical term) and they start to give off that stunning aroma that only toasting them can do... be careful not to burn... there's a very fine line between toasty and burnt and it tastes horrid!
- gently warm the milk and melt the sugar in to it (this can be done on the stove or in the microwave) ... you do it so that the finished ice cream doesn't have that granulated texture from the un-melted sugar
- let the milk cool in the fridge till cold
- break the chocolate bar into chunky chunks and then combine all the ingredients
- add to the Ice Cream Maker and let it do it's magic baby!
simple, chunky... and bloody tasty!
eat and of course, enjoy!