... i know I should be making some typically British 'Carry-On' style smutty joke out of the title of this post but quite frankly I can't be bothered... I have a stinky cold and this has been one of the shittiest weeks of the year so far... so here's my entry for my own Random Recipes challenge, which I've taken from Liz Herbert's WI Cakes... and we'll leave it at that shall we?
Light Fruit Cake
6oz sunflower margarine
6oz soft light brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
12oz dried fruit (I used sultanas and dried orange peel but you can use whatever you fancy)
3oz chopped nuts (I used pecans, walnuts and almonds... again, do as you please...)
4oz plain wholemeal flour
4oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon demerara sugar for sprinkling (I didn't have any so I used soft dark brown sugar)
- grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin and pre-heat oven to 170c
- cream the margarine and sugar for 2 mins, then add the egg gradually beating between spoonfuls.
- add the chopped nuts and fruit and fold in
- add the flours and other dry ingredients and fold in
- pour into the cake tin, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 1 and a 1/4 hours until golden
doesn't look too bad does it?
remember you have until the end of the month to get your entries in!
eat and of course, enjoy!