Wednesday, 8 February 2012
hot tomato jam and pea risotto
... we've had quite a bit of Persuaders work on recently, we're celebrating 15 years of creative event production and also preparing ideas for two big pitches and with deadlines fast approaching it means we've been doing a lot of work from home... food can get quite dull when you work from home on a regular basis and sometimes, when time is tight, you tend to grab something quick and easy and this usually means something not that nutritionally beneficial...
... today at about 12:30pm The Viking started shuffling towards the kitchen and was making noises about the cold and needing something warm in his belly... I told him that instead of making the same-old same-old I could rustle up something within 20 minutes that was warming, hearty and better for us than the average cheese on toast...
tomato jam and pea risotto (serves 2 hungry workers)
i'm not professing to some kind of Jamie Oliver style 30 minute meal here but believe me when I say, other than the tomato jam, nothing was prepped in advance, it all just happened at the stove in about 20 minutes...
1 medium onion - finely chopped
1 glugg of white wine
250g arborio risotto rice
1 tablespoon hot tomato jam
1 pint vegetable stock
fresh rosemary and thyme
grated strong cheddar
a handful of frozen peas
- heat some butter and a little olive oil in a large pan, then add the onions and saute with the herbs until tender (no longer than 5 minutes)
- add the rice and stir it around so it soaks up the buttery, oniony juices
- add the wine and stir until the rice absorbs it, then add the tomato jam and stir again
- add the stock, a little at a time, always stirring, until all the stock is gone and the rice has absorbed it all and is now pump and tender - this should take no longer than 15 minutes
- take it off the heat, add as much grated cheese as you like and a handful of frozen peas and stir again.
eat and of course, enjoy!