Friday, 6 April 2012
carrot cake scones
... last Sunday was a beautiful Spring day... we awoke early to sounds of the new born lambs bleating in the field opposite the cottage, with golden sunlight streaming into the room... the day was spent mostly and very gently in the garden, tweaking it back into life... well The Viking was doing the tweaking, I was given the task of trimming the grass boarders... which I do with a pair of scissors... just for neatness you understand...
... and the weatherman told us the day would be over-cast and cold, so the sunshine felt like a day borrowed from last summer and I had the urge to bottle it... so whilst The Big V pootled, I nipped into the kitchen and whipped up a batch of captured sunshine... which was pretty lucky because anyone living in the UK will know that we're now going through our second winter...!
carrot cake scones
these are based on my basic scone recipe, which of course is Delia's basic scone recipe... and then i've thrown in some 'carrot cake' type ingredients so please bare with me if you think it all sounds a little bit ad-hock... it is...
250g self raising flour
3 tablespoons caster sugar
2 carrots - finely grated
50g shredded or desicated coconut
50g ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon glaced ginger
1 tablespoon sultanas
some milk (sorry)
- pre-heat the oven to 190C
- sieve the flour into a large bowl and lightly rub in the butter, then add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir it all until it's all mixed up
- break the egg into the milk and whisk it up and then pour this into the bowl
- take a knife and work the liquid through the dry ingredients until it begins to form into a ball, then go in with your hands and bring it together
- gently pat it out onto a floured surface (I only pat it out to half the depth of my cutter) and cut out the scones
- bake for 15 minutes or until risen and golden
eat and of course, enjoy!