... I know he wont mind me telling you but The Viking and I have both put on a serious amount of weight recently and to be honest, being men of a gentle nature who are well and truly finished with the salad days of our lives, we really can't afford to let anything slip too far... as it were... I simply refuse to have to purchase anything that comes with an elastic waistband!
... not that i'm pointing fingers but since I began blogging 2 years ago I have baked and eaten more cake than ever before in my entire life and this must have something to do with it surely... The Viking has almost put his foot down and banned me from baking anything sweet... but clearly I can't stop baking... I enjoy it far too much (both the baking and the eating) but I really need to temper my intake... I guess this means my neighbour Tracey will benefit from plenty of treats over the next few months as I attempt to gain control... that or i'll have to come down and bake in the darkness of the night...
with one final flourish before the sugar goes away here's my random recipe for the month...
Chocolate Fruit and Nut Crispy Cakes
these are such a nostalgia hit for me as we used to make something very similar as kids... I think they're such a brilliant kid-friendly bake aren't they...?
300g semisweet chocolate - broken into pieces
1 tablespoon honey or golden syrup
1 tablespoon chopped nut
1 tablespoon sultanas
cornflakes or similar (I used a mixed dried fruit and flakes combo)
200g mascarpone cream cheese
150ml double cream
- prepare 18 paper muffin cases on a baking sheet
- place the chocolate, butter and syrup in a pan and gently melt until they are runny but not hot, remove from the heat and stir until well mixed
- add the chopped nuts and sultanas, stir and then add the cornflakes and stir again until combined
- spoon the cornflake cake mix into the muffin cases and leave to cool for 2-3 hours
- whip the mascarpone and double cream together until thick and then make little fancy quinelles using two teaspoons, so they sit prettily on top.
these are of course my random recipes entry for this month... if you haven't entered and would still like to you have until Sunday to submit your entries... and i'm also entering them into the excellent we should cocoa challenge which, this month is chocolate and cheese...