Thursday, 5 April 2012
... what happened to the Spring... honestly, they wonder why we're obsessed with the weather in the UK... and can you blame us... one minute we're cleaning the cobwebs off the barbecue the next minute the wind is blowing a harsh cold frost over the daffodils... and it's not me just making all this up you know... statistically it is more likely to snow in the UK at Easter time than it is at Christmas... fact!
... so with the four days of summer firmly behind us and the chill returned for an unlimited period I felt a bowl of warm and spicy soup was in order...
curried fennel and carrot soup served with melted cheese on sourdough
1 medium onion - finely chopped
1 fennel bulb - finely chopped
3 medium carrots - finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic - crushed
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 ltr good quality vegetable stock
- in a heavy pan melt some butter and olive oil, add the onion and garlic and let them sweat gently for 5 mins
- add the fennel seeds and garam masala and let them cook with the onions for a further fw minutes until the house fills with the wonderful sweet scent
- add the carrots and fennel, stir and place the lid on for about 5 mins until the vegetables are beginning to soften
- add the stock, then place the lid back on and let it bubble gently for a further 20 minutes
- whizz with a hand blender and serve with dollop of cream cheese and some red Lincolnshire Poacher toasted on sourdough...
... eat and of course, enjoy!