lambs liver in cider and caramelised onions
2-3 lambs livers - cleaned and sliced
one large onion - very finely sliced
a large handful of chestnut mushrooms - finely sliced
a bunch of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
a glass and a half of farmhouse cider
salt and pepper
olive oil and butter
- melt a small nob of butter with some olive oil in a heavy pan and gently saute the onions until they start to turn golden, this should take up to 20 minutes during which time you should throw in the thyme and season.
- as they start to turn golden, throw in the mushrooms and let them saute and turn golden too - perhaps another 5-10 minutes. If you keep the heat gentle you'll stop them from drying out or burning.
- now turn up the heat to full blast and throw in the cider and let it bubble away till completely gone and then leave it some more till all the onions and mushrooms go sticky - remove from the pan and set aside
- drop a little more oil and butter in the pan and then on a medium heat saute the livers for 3 mins on one side, then turn over, throw in the half glass of cider and saute again till bubbling and done - possibly another 2 - 3 mins but I like them quite rare...
- serve them with the onions and mushrooms thrown back on top on a bed of greens or mash
eat and of course, enjoy!