Tuesday, 26 June 2012
... this dish is all about those long slow cooking days... a proper weekend of sloth-like shuffling around the kitchen with nothing to do but stir the sauce every hour or so... and then, at the end of the day you are rewarded with a taste sensation of sweet sticky heat and deeply rich tomatoey love...
... the hero of any decent pizza is the tomato sauce... and i've made the tomato jam before but i'm doing it again here with some added ingredients that came in the wonderful #CapricornChallenge hamper I received last week... some red peppers, an ingredient I rarely used but have been feeling the pepper love quite a bit recently... and best of all some dried figs who's sweetness will compliment the acidity of the goats cheese beautifully... i've also used fresh tomatoes as well as tinned tomatoes this time... I will be using this jam quite a bit over the next few weeks as it can be used in so many dishes from a pizza base to a pasta sauce... it's even great simply smothered on toast, although i'll try and be a little more creative...
... as you know I would normally make my own pizza base but again those wonderful people at Capricorn Somerset Goats Cheese provided me with some decent quality ready-made pizza bases in the hamper...
red pepper, fig and tomato chilli jam
1 red pepper - finely diced
1 large red onion - finely diced
1 medium hot chilli - finely diced
5 or 6 dried figs - finely diced
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
fresh herbs - i used rosemary, lemon thyme and oregano
- heat some olive oil in a pan and gently saute the onions for 5 mins until translucent
- add the peppers and fresh chilli and saute again for a further 5 mins
- add the fresh tomatoes, dried chilli and herbs and saute again for 5 mins
- add the tinned tomatoes, figs and balsamic vinegar, turn the heat down very low and simmer for at least 4 hours until you have a gooey, unctuous, thick sauce and your house smells like Mediterranean heaven...
goats cheese pizza
for me, keeping it simple is the key to a good pizza... loading it with too much crap just ruins the point... make two different ones and mix up the toppings but apart from the tomato base, no more than three...
1 x pizza base
1 tablespoon tomato jam (as above)
1 x small mozzerella ball
50g Capricorn Goats Cheese
a handful of pitted black olives
a sprinkling of fresh oregano
extra virgin olive oil
- pre heat the oven to 200C
- spoon the tomato jam onto the base and spread it around leaving a small clear edge of base
- tear some mozzarella and goats cheese on top as well as some fresh pitted black olives and a drizzle of olive oil
- bake in the oven for 10-15 mins or until bubbling and golden
eat and of course, enjoy!