i’ve been very busy recently, we had a mammoth Halloween weekend at Gunby Hall last weekend where we all dressed up as ghost characters of the Hall’s previous inhabitants and essentially spent 48hrs shouting, in scary make-up… Christmas is coming and is looking to be one of our busiest periods so it’s non-stop… i’ve barely had time for any life of my own let alone visit a supermarket or think about cooking fabulous stuff in the kitchen… i’m regularly going without breakfast and lunch and then, in a starving mad dash around the kitchen, stuffing all kinds of crap into my mouth… for lunch today I had a mini bag of Haribo and 6 apples…
i’m also off to Edinburgh on Sunday for 3 days of work, so forgive me if I go off piste for a day or two!
… so last night when I finally got home I was desperate for some decent grub which included nice, healthy vegetables… and I literally opened the fridge and cupboard, pulled out the first things that caught my eye and bunged it into a pot… and surprisingly good it was too!
chunky vegetable soup with chickpeas
1 large onion – finely chopped
2 medium leeks – finely chopped
1 large carrot – chopped
2 medium potatoes – chopped
2 medium vine tomatoes -chopped
1 tin of chickpeas
1 cup of frozen peas
2 pints of good vegetable stock
– in a large pan, saute the onions and leeks in plenty of butter and olive oil and let them sweat for 5 mins, add some rosemary
– add the carrots and potatoes and let them sweat for a further 5 mins or until soft
– tip in the chickpeas and the tomatoes and stir it all around, then pour on the stock, cover and simmer gently for at least 20 mins.
– add the peas and then let it cool and sit for a while (i think the cooling/sitting process really lets the flavours mingle)
– serve with a grating of strong cheese
eat and of course, enjoy!