... the summer is still very much in full-swing on this side of the world and for me there's nothing quite like a classic ice-cream to cool the brow and soothe the soul. I think my ice-cream desires have fluctuated over the years. When I was young there was nothing I desired more than a fruity ice-lolly, be it the shop-bought multi-striped 'rocket' lolly or my mum's home-made 'ribena' on a stick... I also remember that mum used to wrap a banana in foil and freeze these, creating a perfect little frozen popsicle of fresh fruit. By the look of some of your wonderful creations out there in blog-land I think things have become a little more sophisticated these days but recently my tastes have changed once more and now I favour the more nutty and richer ice-creams and, if given a choice I would opt for a tub over a cone although if there's something available that comes in a sandwich then i'll always go for that...
... so this month I have linked up the random recipes challenge with my blog-sister Kavey from the brilliant Kavey Eats and her fun bloggers challenge Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream... I think it's going to be really fun and very easy to take part, here's what you'll need to do to enjoy the random ice-cream fun...
firstly, this doesn't just have to be ice cream... this can be gelato or semi-fredo or sorbet, frozen yoghurt, ice lollies... any frozen dessert will be accepted!
1. randomly select any book from your collection, or gather the books you know to contain ice cream recipes in, or use the brilliant Eat My Books app.
2. take that book and open it at a totally random page (or if you know there are only a few ice cream recipes in there, number those recipes and then randomly select a number)
3. create the exact ice cream recipe on this page and don't cheat... do it with a friend in the room who will make you stick to it... it's a challenge after all and you're only cheating yourself... this is specifically designed to take you out of your comfort zone...!
4. you may change the recipe for dietary or monetary or seasonal availability reasons only... I will accept 'virgin' versions of the cocktail if you're alcohol exclusive in any way.
6. tweet your entry including the hashtag #bsficrandomrecipes and we will retweet all we see
7. challenge deadline is Aug 28th and I will post the round-up on Aug 30th
... so the book I randomly selected is called Desert Island Dishes which is produced by the good people at maldon Salt who sent it to me along with a selection of salts that I reviewed back in the Spring this year... the book is packed full of recipes by some of the worlds top chefs, all using Maldon salt so as you can imagine I was very excited to see if i'd even find an ice-cream recipe at all... and there on page 166 in a recipe for Maldon salted caramel and macadamia ice cream by Ben Purton, Executive Head Chef at the Royal Horseguards Hotel and One Whitehall Place... I am off to buy nuts now...
go on then... go choose a recipe!