... with Spring in full swing and Summer almost upon us it's time to cast our eyes over the clutter and mess of our lives and think long and hard about what to clear out... if you're anything like me then there's an awful lot of stuff and for many of us it really more of a thought than an actual action so it rarely gets done so I thought that I would take advantage of my random recipes challenge and work out which cook books I really never use any more and see if I can't clear some space on the shelves for more!
... so the idea is to take a long hard look at all your books and find the ones (or maybe it's just one) that you REALLY never use... never even look at... or simply don't care for any more and give that blessed book one last chance for survival...
... I have a few books that are potential candidates for this including the very odd Lady Maclean's Cook Book - a completely bonkers set of recipes by a very bonkers lady and one which i've simply not got to grips with even though i've had the book for close to a decade... then there's Italian Cooking (no author) - a very thin book of strange recipes that, as far as I can see have very little to do with Italy at all... but I think the winner has to be the Essential Low Fat Cook Book - could there be anything more offensive... oh yes, it's written by Anthony Warrall Thompson and to make matters worse, there on page 50 is a Fruit and Fibre Yoghurt Layer... no redemption for this book then, I suppose I only have myself to blame!
so here are the rules:
1. go have a good Spring clean and gather together the potential books for disposal ...obviously we'll donate these books to charity rather than throw them in the trash... then randomly select a book from these books... you can do this any number of ways, I like to count them all, assign each one a number and then randomly draw a book out of the hat but you could throw them all up in the air and select the one that hits you... I leave the selection process to you
2. take that book and open it at a random page
3. cook the recipe on this page... and don't cheat... do it with a friend in the room who will make you stick to it... it's a challenge after all and you're only cheating yourself... this is specifically designed to take you out of your comfort zone...!
4. you may change the recipe for dietary or monetary or seasonal availability reasons only
5. post it up on your blog, with a link to this page then email me with a link at dominic(@)belleaukitchen.co.uk so I know you've joined in, you can also attach my natty new badge to show people you're taking part.
6. tweet your entry including the hashtag #randomrecipes and I will retweet all I see
7. challenge deadline is May 29th and I will post the round-up on May 30th
eat and of course, enjoy!